Thomas G. Berstene
SUMMARY: Industrial/Organizational Psychologist with experience in Organizational Development, Program Evaluation, and Consulting (Internal and external). Proven track record in employee and customer service survey design and analysis. Recognized leader in the evaluation of corporate training programs.
SKILLS: Program Evaluation: Strategy, instrument design, analysis and reporting.
Project Management: Planning, administration and analysis.
Learning Design: Development and evaluation, including distance education.
Management: Performance planning, budgeting, staff development, and administration.
Quality Management: Process Improvement, Root Cause Analysis, and Audit.
1996 – Present Management Consultant
Principal consultant providing program planning and evaluation services for corporate and government customers to assist their decision-making and to solve performance issues.
· Provide CIP V5 training for metropolitan utility company to assist them in understanding the pending changes on their organization.
· Project Manager and Lead Designer for the development of CIP role-based training for a New England utility company. Rewrote all CIP procedures and developed over 20 web-based training modules.
· Project Manager for new product development/lean design for two manufacturing companies. Project included conducting Design for Six Sigma analyses. Resulted in design of a final product assembly machine for multi-million dollar product lines.
· Developed Trinidad and Tobago’s Ministry of National Security Strategic Plan. Strategic plan tied together the various agencies under the Ministry’s purview. Strategic plan also complied with new Government’s vision for the country.
· Worked with Trinidad’s Scholarship Division of Ministry of Public Administration on business analysis for improving work processes. Analysis provided shortlist of vendors for new document management system allowing for automated processing and record tracking of over 3,000 scholars in training annually.
· Developed RFP for remittance process for electrical distribution company. RFP resulted in selecting of new supplier to prepare and distribute bills both paper and electronically as well as process remittance payments using all payment technologies available (check, in-person, web debit and credit, with potential for adding secure e-mail).
· Worked with Ministry of National Security to improve work permit process for Trinidad and Tobago. New process reduced cycle time from 5 weeks to 15 days for new permits and from 15 days to 15 minutes for renewals.
· Designed interim processes to help the City of New Orleans track and monitor procurements related to Hurricanes Katrina and Rita.
· Designed processes for collecting, reviewing, and preparing data for reporting to FEMA resulting in faster and error free submission of required FEMA forms.
· Conducted communications readiness assessment of Public Health system in the State of Connecticut. Due to depth of analysis, drafted final report of overall emergency preparedness status.
· Designed virtual Corporate University for fast growing high tech company. Provided needs analysis, program design, and development support. Successful change program led to smooth spin-off of one division and increased annual revenue and IPO.
1992 - 1995 Aetna Life and Casualty
1990 - 1992 Independent Consultant
1975 - 1990 U.S. Coast Guard & Coast Guard Reserve
1990 - 2002 Commissioned Officer
CERTIFICATION: ASQ Certified Quality Auditor since 1995
PROFESSIONAL Past Chair, ASQ Hartford Section
Past Chair, Human Development & Leadership Division for ASQ.
RECOGNITION: ASQ Fellow for distinguished work in the field of Quality 2013
Past Chair of Business and Industry Group for American Evaluation Association.
Conference Chair and Presenter for IQPC Performance Measurements for Training.
Presented and published Master's thesis on "Predicting the Successful Coast Guard Academy Cadet" at Military Testing Association Conference
Coast Guard Commendation Medal for accomplishments in Leaderhip Development and in WorkForce Planning.
Coast Guard Achievement Medal for accomplishments in Training.
EDUCATION: MA in Industrial/Organizational Psychology, George Mason University
BA in Liberal Arts Psychology, Western Connecticut State College